Saturday, June 24, 2006

Flowers that Frighten

I have the best record for not catching the bouquet at every wedding I have every been to over the last 15 years. I have managed to either miss the catching the bouquet with a graceful smile or just miss that entire event at the reception altogether by conveniently making myself scarce at that time if I could. My wonderful friends, though usually do not let me miss the bouquet toss. For some reason, they have made sure as we singletons dwindle that my derriere is out on that floor and readily available for flower catching as if that my insurance policy for marriage. I think my record was a whopping 15 out of 15 misses until my brother's wedding this past weekend.
And then I was flanked by my 11 year old niece (who should not have been out there to catch the bouquet in the first place) and low and behold, she reached up and snatched that bugger. Good for her!! I was ecstatic. My older brother, on the other hand, was not. LOL. He was the one who said she should have never have been out there in the first place. The bouquet toss is supposed to be for eligible women (I would assume that would mean 18 years of age and older?) only. This would not include my niece. At this point, I am laughing at him. I told him it was no big deal. She should keep it and at the rate I was going she was going to get married first anyway. He proceeded to tell me that I should have caught it and if I did not have "alligator arms" I would have. "Alligator arms?" At this point, I was about to bust a gut, but I could not dissuade him. He insisted that by proxy, this bouquet belonged to me because we had to keep it in the family. Huh? Where did he come up with this twisted reality?
It turns out I have to start over now, as I ended up with the tosser and evidently will be the next to get married if you believe the tradition. I have a lot of work to do if that is the case. . .

No comments: