Monday, May 21, 2007

Holding Out for a Hero

Where are they, I ask you? "Where have all the good men gone and where are all the Gods?" to quote the Bonnie Tyler hit. Over the past year, I would have said, they are gone. Gone forever, that there was not a good man left out there because they are all already taken or the rest have some unique social deformity that makes them undesirable like immature behavior or unrealistic expectations. Please realize I am half speaking tongue and cheek here, but really, it is so discouraging to see good men and women stay single because they can't seem to make a love connection. And for what reason?

I am not sure these days. I guess I think it is because we as humans are so ridiculously picky about our romantic relationships. I know I am. And you want to know the funny thing? I will accept the most annoying characteristics and flaws in my friends that they can possibly exhibit, but when it comes to the man of my dreams, FORGET IT! He has to be damn near perfect.

Ok, not really, but it seems that way for many of us. Why is that? Why will we let so many things slide with our friends but not with that one person, the one that means everything? Is it because they mean everything? Is it because that level of trust is supposed to be higher than that of any other with our sig figs? Is it the intimacy that dictates the need for perfection?

I don't know any of the answers. I just know that there are decent single men and women who can't seem to find their way to each other. Take for example my group of friends- there are a number of us who are single and we are all great people, but not right for each other for a number of reasons. You could ask each of us to make a list (of excuses/reasons) why each one of us is not dating each other. (We put the "dys" in dysfunctional.) I think each of us knows what our individual issues are. Whether we are willing to admit them or not, is another whole story and hence, we stay single . . .

No comments: