Saturday, May 12, 2007

Reflection

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about a variety of things. I guess you could say I have been taking stock of everything in my life. At first, this was very subconscious, and then this process became mandatory and conscious. Now, I am happy to go through and make the necessary changes that have recently come about in my life. The journey to this place was interesting and at times even painful, but I am now in a happier place overall.

It is funny in a way because this weekend marks my ten year anniversary of my college graduation. Thinking back, I remember having a ten-year plan for my life and although I have created a nice life for myself and had a successful career in sales up to this point, my ten-year plan went out the window many years ago. It is good that it was only a plan, sketched in pencil and not carved in stone. Nothing is written in stone these days and I am thankful for that. Change can be good, even if there are aspects of the change that are difficult because most often growth comes out of the change.

So, from this reminiscing I found myself thinking about what my life would be like if I had taken a different path. I have spent ten years focusing on my career, putting my professional life before my personal life. I have developed a great resume, but this has left my social life lacking. I can't say I regret any of it, either. I have learned so much in the past ten years from my experiences and the people who mentored me. I also learned about myself. It is amazing what life will teach us if we are open to learning.

My reflection has brought me to a calm place, to one of new beginnings and chapters unwritten, to a new ten year plan. I am thankful for the opportunity to look forward to the next ten years to choose to prioritize my life differently.

No comments: