Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Eating Healthy Costs $$$$

I don't know about you, but I have been trying to eat well or better for awhile now and it is rather irritating that the cost of doing so is significantly more than bingeing on twinkies and Dr. Pepper. I prefer to each fresh foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean meats. I keep the processed and pre-packaged foods to a minimum. In doing so, I end up having to shop more frequently and end up spending more money. For some reason, foods that are packed with high fructose corn syrup, white flour and sugar are cheaper. It is just so frustrating!!! And, as a friend and I were discussing earlier this evening, it seems like fruits and veggies are getting more expensive. . .Not good. I don't plan on changing my eating habits and heading back to eating poorly so I can die sooner full of clogged arteries and cancer, but I marvel at how as Americans we promote so many things that are bad for us and make them not only readily available, but less expensive than what is good and healthy. Welcome to the American Dream (capitalism).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How do you eat healthy if you are poor?