Monday, May 28, 2007

ARRRGGGHHHHHHH!

I had a subscription to one of those online dating sites for about a year. I cancelled it because it proved to be worthless to me. I was matched with a decent number of men, but they were so far away that the majority of them closed them before we ever started any communication. Many of them felt the physical distance was too great to even start something. OK. Fine. I can see the challenges in long distance; I have been down that road before and it was not fun. But, I have many more complaints about this online dating site. For something that touts compatibility as its factor, this is no different than any of the other dating sites. It is just an online meat market. And falling in love? Puh-lease!! I may eat my words about this some day, but not likely. I just think that there are too many people who misrepresent themselves on these things and too many people who are unrealistic (I started this way) when it comes to online dating.

My beef with this site is that it markets itself as being different when really it is not. My experience was the men were still the same because MEN ARE MEN! And, to be honest, I am not begrudging the men for it. I blame this site for even marketing the idea that as humans we are different than we fundamentally are. And to be fair, WOMEN ARE WOMEN, so to claim that we are not and that you can match someone based on a list of factors is hogwash. I would love to think that we as humans have evolved to intellectual relationship building, but we are not there yet. We are first and foremost creatures of biology and that starts with pheromones and basic human attraction. Everyone has different levels to which they function - meaning attraction may be instant or for some build over time. And then you have chemistry. Chemistry is a combination of many factors including physical attraction.

So, there you have it. The problem with online dating using only compatibility matching. Unfortunately, the concept is too evolved and Utopian for creatures like us. And I am not saying it does not work for some either. There have been success stories, but those people are not the majority and they have moved beyond traditional thinking. Kudos. They also must have really found a person that sparked their interest on a fundamental level or they would not have even continued the process.

No comments: