Thursday, October 05, 2006

Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink

I am not sure how many of you pay attention to non-verbal communication, but a person actually communicates more non-verbally than verbally. Because of this, I struggle with how digital we have become in the nature of our communication. It is so difficult to be flirtatious without being blatantly suggestive or downright obvious. In person, a woman and a man can be more subtle with body movements, tone of voice, eyes- everything. I would hate to rely on our new friend, the emoticon, to portray a feeling in the new stages of an early developing relationship. What if their version of messaging program is not the same as yours? What if they are using an all-in-one? The emoticons are not always the same and then what you were trying to communicate ends up all wrong due to a misplaced little yellow redecorated smiley face! What has this world come to?

3 comments:

-bRad said...

You are real hung up on this digital communication thing. I just don't see it as big of an issue as you do. And based on the comments of some others around our conversations of the same, I am willing to be that they don't either.

I think you DO have to be more careful with digital communication and there IS more opportunity for mis-communication.

And yes, about 60% of communication is body language - provided you are within proximity of that person.

You aren't afraid of phones are you? True, you can still hear inflection but you can't see them anymore.

Montana Diva said...

I just think you have to be so careful with online communication because the only tone you can read into is just that- the one you read into it. And I believe you are a little low on your non-verbal communication percentage- I believe it is 80%. Anyway, regardless, I am not against it at all and rather enjoy it, but have found myself miscommunicating more with people since we have become more digital than when the world was just person-to-person and phones. And, no, I am not afraid of the phone. I guess as much as I like technology, I like old-fashioned face-to-face communication just the same.

I find technology a necessary evil, but don't always prefer to communicate that way. LOL. As you know, sometimes life just dictates it and I am fighting that. .

-bRad said...

Here is a link that I think you could use. It will ensure that during your next "encounter" that there isn't any miscommunication or ill interpretation. That's what you want, isn't it?

http://media.skoopy.com/misc/consent