Saturday, October 28, 2006

Are we there yet?

With election day approaching, I find myself asking the question "Are we there yet?" more often each day. Many states are facing important races for congressional districts and state offices. Unfortunately, the mudslinging is out of control. I am hearing ads on the radio and seeing ads on TV that are so negative I am appalled. Once credible upstanding politicians are resorting to the lowest of tactics to persuade voters on this upcoming election day. What I see happening is these people taking steps down on the ladder of integrity, one rung at a time with each new negative political ad. Regardless of what these pompous advertising executives and political advisors are telling their clients, the campaigns are NOT affective now, but rather distasteful and downright irritating to voters. I would not be surprised if voter turnout is less than anticipated because of the negativity. I am struggling now to want to support any candidate regardless of my political beliefs because of the way this election has been handled. So, I am counting the days until I can check the boxes, fill in the dots etc and the airwaves will return to normal again.

1 comment:

-bRad said...

You know, voter turn out will probably be better than expected. Why? Because democrats are notorious for getting people, including illegals, to the polls. Don't believe me? Look at all the recounts that went on in the last presidential election. How is it that in largely democratic wins there were more people voting than were registered or even living in their distric?

Both sides are part of the problem when it comes to the mud slinging. I, too, am tired of it.