Saturday, November 29, 2008

No Heat!

It is Thanksgiving weekend and I have a four day holiday. I had choir for a church service Wednesday night and came home afterwards to my house thermostat at a chilly 62 degrees. I normally keep my thermostat at this temperature during the day, but have it about 68 while I am here at night. I adjusted it, but the heat did not seem to be coming on. I did not really think much of it Wednesday night so I went to bed. I got up the next morning and the house was 62 and then the temp went down to 61 before I left. I adjusted the thermostat again before I left for Thanksgiving dinner with my family at my brother's house. I came home to find that the temp had not only not changed, but there was no heat blowing out of the heater vents. I turned on my air purifier heater that my parents had given me in my living room and decided that there was nothing my landlord could do for me on the holiday and to call her in the morning. I had a spa day planned so I called her on my way. It turns out that no one works on a holiday weekend in Bozeman, Montana in the heating business. My landlord spent the entire day at my apartment to find that the blower on my heater was busted. She then spent Saturday finding a replacement and someone to put it in only to find out it did not fit and part was going to have to be brought in on Monday and installed. I have space heaters all over my apartment. Both my landlord and I are terrified of these things. We are constantly checking on them to make sure they are not going to burn my apartment down, but it is the only way to heat the place until the furnace can be fixed. My landlord has been great trying to remedy this situation and provide me heat in the interim. I am so lucky that it has been and is so warm in Bozeman right now.

1 comment:

-bRad said...

I remember going through that one winter when I lived up there. Only ours went out in Feb.

We aren't sure how cold it got in the house because it eventualy got so cold the thermostat couldn't register it anymore. That was somewhere south of 50-degrees.